Art Deco Women And Tamara de Lempicka



I love this quote.
It makes me laugh whenever I read it.
We all need a little bit of this attitude....
like the women in the Art Deco era.

When I think of women living in the Roaring Twenties,
I think of those women who with little regard for social morales
of the time, went about creating their own life.
And one such woman was artist Tamara de Lempicka.
Tamara de Lempicka was born into a wealthy and prominent
family from Poland in 1898.  At 15, she saw her husband-to-be at an
opera and decided that she would do what was necessary to marry him.
He was a well-known ladies man who was tempted by Tamara's significant
dowry and the two were married when Tamara turned 18.

Tamara had her first show in Milan where her art made her
the most fashionable portrait artist.  The iconic work "Auto Portrait",
(above) was a self-portrait of Tamara in a Green Bugatti and
was featured in a German fashion magazine.
It shows Tamara gloved and helmeted and a very independent
woman that was inaccessible and very free.
This is how she lived her life.
Tamara lived a bohemian lifestyle and was well-known
for her bisexual appetite.  She was quite the scandalous
talk of the town in her day.
I recently read the best seller, "The Last Nude" by
Ellis Avery which tells of Tamara's lifestyle and
her incredible relationships with her models.
She certainly marched to the beat of her own drummer...
but,
I love her art and her ladies are magnificent.
Years ago, I went to the Montreal Gallery of Art to
see her work and was totally smitten.
To have her skill..... 

Priscilla Mae Etsy Shop

I have added two new Art Deco hand painted lady pillows
to my Etsy shop.  I went through a time when I was just intriqued
by the styles of the women of the Roaring Twenties.
The time was exceptional in clothing, architecture, design and
way of life that we haven't experienced since. 
See Alice here.

This is Alice
She is a woman who loved spending her time in Paris
enjoying the antics and shows of
Josephine Baker.
What a time in Paris she had.

Popular Posts