ORANGE THAT POPS


This is one of my favorite shots of Paris.  The colorful awnings against the concrete color of the buildings are just spectacular. Every sunny day, I would walk past this building just to look up and see this splash of color.  I don't think I have ever seen orange and deep yellow awnings in North America.  Quel  dommage.






And then it occurred to me that I don't use the color orange very often in my pillows and totes.  In the beginning, I did.  

This is a painting of my Mom I did about 6 years ago when I was learning how to paint.  It's a picture of her when she was younger and I had forgotten I had painted this until I started to go through some old pictures of my first endeavors.  





This is Maya, one of my earlier women as well.  I named her Maya after Maya Angelou who is one of my favorite writers.  To me, Maya's all-time best poem is "Phenomenal Woman."   I love to read the poem with it's lyrical verses and phenomenal wisdom.
"It's in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman.   Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, that's me."  (Maya Angelou)


A cute little pillow I saw in a Paris window.  Doesn't it look like she is ready for Spring?







When in Paris last Spring, I went to the Galleries Lafayette, which is one of Paris's renowned department stores.  One can't go to Paris with walking into this most beautiful store.  In the center of the store, they had constructed a runway on 5 different levels.  The color they were featuring for this particular fashion show was the color orange.  It's a color that just pops and these ladies look smashing in their haute couture clothing.

I think today I will go into my studio and try painting some of my ladies and backgrounds in the color orange.  It's such a lovely warm color and looks wonderful next to any woman's complexion.


Popular Posts